August 2, 2010

Cake # 19 Frozen Passionfruit Meringue Cake


This cake is Frozen and made of meringue ... therefore not a real "cake" in my book  - but hey.   Frozen screams beach in July.  So what if the title ingredient calls for "3/4 c frozen passionfruit pulp" which "can be found in Latino specialty food shops".  I did not have high hopes for finding said shop on the Outerbanks of NC where they seem to import only eastern European summer help.  That said, we did actually find a latino convenience store which sold a slew of cool spices and dried peppers, but their frozen section consisted mainly of popsicles.  I anticipated this at least and already mentally compromised by using Mango.  Which I found fresh at Food Lion.  I used 3, skinned and cut them into the blender to make a puree.  Then whipped it into the freezer only to read later that the "frozen passion fruit pulp" was to be thawed before using.

This cake was fun to make.  It requires measuring and drawing on parchment.

Squeezing the meringue layers with cake piping bags.

Multiple steps and freezer bits.  I made it on my way to the pool.

Then swam for a while.  Came in, made a few more steps, then went to the ocean.  Popped it in the freezer and had myself a nap.  When everyone else was having cocktails, I piped on the decorative icing.

A few things I learned:

I could never have made this cake at my house.
I do not have a serving dish long enough.
You really need an empty freezer to fit the dang thing in there - who has that, besides a huge beach house with an extra, and dare I say, tie-dyed, empty freezer in the basement gameroom?


There was not enough whipped cream - I wound up whipping more. Should have just made a whole 2 cups to start.
My niece and nephew there thought this was the "best cake in the whole entire world"  and that it "looked so awesome and pretty".  And they liked hanging around to benefit from licking beaters and bowls.
We brought it over to our cousin's house for a dessert night that was to die for.  This cake was eaten and seemingly well liked - but I much preferred the chambord chocolate brownies that Janet made.
It was fun to make.  If frozen and meringue is your thing, go for it. Who knows how different it would have tasted with passion fruit instead of mango?  I'll never know b.c I am not going to make this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment