January 1, 2010

Cake #10 - Chocolate-Covered Gingerbread Cake

This Chocolate-Covered Gingerbread cake was supposed to be for Christmas Eve at Ben's folks.  Namely because this cake holds no appeal to me, but seemed like one his family would really go for - well,  the adults anyway.  It was moved to Christmas Day with my folks and for the smaller group.  It required a 9x9 inch SQUARE cake pan.  I have 9" rounds and 8" squares and happened by 2 stores which did not carry 9x9 squares.  After doing a quick area/volume calculation requiring me to remember Area = (Pi)(r)^2, I decided 9 inch round would be just fine for me.  See the square version here.





This cake calls for fresh ginger root as well as candied ginger.  I did blatantly omit an ingredient:  ground cloves.  I have whole cloves.  I have not one, but TWO mortar and pestles and planned to just grind it up - but in the throws of the mixing,  I could not find any of the parts needed to grind.  Since there were other super fragrant spices already there, I omitted.

Candied ginger was a revelation too.  We have had the same jar of candied ginger in our spice drawer for 5 years.  We use a couple pieces of it every year in our turkey brine for Thanksgiving and it is not otherwise touched.  I knew I needed more - I sampled my jar thinking it would be like rock candy.  Not at all - tasted fine, even after 5 years.  And I was surprised it was soft.  Apparently my sister Jess eats it like candy.  So, she should look in the mail for some from me b/c I sent Kassi to Christina's Spice shop for it and for $7.49 you can buy their smallest amount, about 2 pounds worth - which by my estimation would be a 6 lifetime supply for us here.

The cake was surprisingly good (for me).  It was also elegant and fancy for a dinner party.  I am glad I garnished with the candied ginger as directed b/c it elevated the look of the cake.  I planned to pick it off my piece, but it all just worked.  The cake did "cry for whipped cream" my dad said - and he was not wrong.  I also ate it with leftover peppermint ice cream from cake #9.


Showcasing the fresh ginger root and Grandma's Molasses.  I have never bought molasses before this.  Cute packaging.

Oh!  And easy since it was 1 pan, 1 layer.  The frosting was very simple, though required a double boiler - but you just pour it over the cake - that part couldn't be easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment