January 31, 2010

Cake #7 - Orange Angel Food Cake - FINALLY from Mindy

Finally! Finally I make this Orange Angel Food Cake with Caramel Sauce and Tropical-Fruit Compote that Sherie made back in late November!

And, more importantly, I FINALLY made a great cake! It was easy! It was tasty! I didn't throw any away! Huzzah and hooray! Yes, that's a lot of exclamation points, but I am happy ! ! ! ! ! !

I needed this cake to reinvigorate me to the project. Really, really needed after the last few cake disasters.

Only a couple of notes, mostly in response to Sherie's post:

Carmel: Thanks for the tip to let it cook Sher, I really let it go until it was, well, caramel color, and it turned out perfect. I did, in fact, add the cardamon to the sauce even though you really didn't like it (oh, and I got just the right amount from the bulk tubs at Whole Foods, and it only cost a few cents). And, while I didn't love the caramel and cardamon by itself (which is probably good or I'd still be eating it out of the fridge by the spoonful), I did think it complemented the cake very well.

The Compote: I was lucky and was able to get all the required fruit (although I did go with no kiwi and more mango because one of our diners is allergic to kiwi), and it made for a really beautiful side to the cake. I might leave out the passion fruit next time (first time I've ever bought or used it) only because I didn't love the crunch of the seeds. But the color was beautiful and very refreshing.

Overall, I'd make this again, for sure. I had forgotten how easy angel food cakes are - they might become my go-to cake for future birthdays. Easy and very little guilt!

Oh, thank you, angel food cake, for restoring my faith in the cake project. I can't thank you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment