May 2, 2010

Cake #15 - Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cake with Cream Cheese and Butterfinger Frosting

Oh jeez. This cake is well worth the time it takes to make. Actually, the hands-on time is not that bad, it's just that you have to chill the filling overnight. So, it's not a cake to make on a whim. But, if you have time, if you like peanut butter and chocolate, well then get thee to this cake! Oh, and the yummiest cream cheese frosting that's light and airy. Oh my, why didn't I put some of this in the freezer for later eating? I could really go for a piece right now.

Don't be scared by the extensive ingredient list. It's all easy to find and much of it you might have in your cabinet (we actually had mini Butterfinger bars in our freezer leftover from Halloween! SCORE.).
The batter? Light, fluffy with a subtle peanut butter flavor.
Okay, so this is supposed to be a three-layer cake, but I only have two 9" pans. I had the choice of going for three 8" or two taller 9" cakes, and I went with the two 9" cakes. I had to increase my cooking time a bit (my notes are non-existent for this) - maybe an extra three minutes or so.
I made the cake for my brother's birthday, and with a house full of guests, I didn't want to take the time to chop the butterfingers for the top of the cake. Instead, I put them in a ziplock bag and smacked the hell out of them with a rolling pin to make Butterfinger crumbs. Oh, and I skipped the peanuts altogether (see time crunch), but I don't think we missed anything given the peanut flavor of the cake and filing.

Without a doubt, I would make this cake again. Impressive, not too difficult, super tasty. And really, just as the commercial used to say, peanut and chocolate are two great things that go great together!

No comments:

Post a Comment